Darlington Car Hauler Parade and Festival Zooms Back Aug. 30
The heat is on, which means the 2018 Darlington Car Hauler Parade and Festival must be close! It screeches into the Florence Center Aug. 30 preceding the Bojangles’ Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway Sept. 2.
This year Raldex Hospitality has come on board as the sponsor of the family-friendly event that starts with the festival at the Florence Center at 4 p.m. and ends with the NASCAR transports starting the slow trek to Darlington at 7 p.m. along a route populated by cheering fans (which makes for great photo opportunities!).
The main attraction continues to be the NASCAR transporters, which fans can take pictures with before the haulers take off (find the transports for your favorite drivers)! This year famous former drivers are back such as Hut Stricklin, former champ of NASCAR’s Dash Series, and Donnie Allison, who won ten races in the Cup Series.
Other Festival activities families have grown to love are back, such as:
- Live entertainment and music, including the return of the group Sideswiped
- Emcees Dan E. Lockemy and Jai Jai Spann
- The KidsZone with inflatables and games
- The GameTruck with a wide selection of games for Xbox360 and Wii that accommodates up to 16 players at one time
- The 8-lane die-cast race track from Wade Entertainment Inc., which features computer scoring, a 46-inch LED display, and cars representing many of the sport’s favorite drivers
- ScienceSouth with its engaging educational activities
- Food and drinks, plus shaved ice and other treats
- Airbrush tattoos—get a semi-permanent logo of the track “Too Tough to Tame!”
- The kids’ activity and crafts table—including racing-inspired mini-pillows
- The exciting silent auction full of great NASCAR items and race memorabilia (proceeds benefit local charities)
- The Budweiser Clydesdales
As the Festival concludes at 7 p.m. the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup team haulers take off from the Florence Center for the 12-mile slow roll to Darlington Square. The Square again will host its own event, RaceFest, with entertainment, food, car show and kids activities!
The transports will continue through Darlington until they reach the track “Too Tough to Tame” where they can park, unload and begin preparation for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 race.