Dust off that tackle box and grab a rod and reel! Hosted “virtually” by the Refuge Friends Group, the 12th Annual Youth Fishing event will take place at Oxpen Lake beginning Saturday, October 3 through Sunday, October 11. Due to Covid-19, the traditional, one-day derby and picnic are not possible. However, the pond will be stocked and Facebook events will be hosted throughout the week. On Thursday, October 15, they will host a Facebook Live event and draw for door prizes. Any youth that pre-registered for the event will be eligible to win a door prize!
How to Participate:
- Guardians should pre-register the participating youth(s) at https://virtualyouthfishingweek.eventbrite.com. Registration will open on September 10 and will close October 10.
- Participants must provide their own bait, rod & reel, and bucket or stringer.
- Parents may help their child bait hooks and cast, but are not permitted to fish.
- Participants may fish during daylight hours Oct 3 through 11.
- When fishing, participants should only fish with their immediate family/group and spread out along the pond edge, practicing physical distancing consistent with health department guidelines.
- Guardians should join our Facebook event page and post pictures of your family fishing or enjoying the refuge. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/carolinasandhillsfriends) There will be a photo background under the kiosk adjacent to the Oxpen Observation Tower.
- If participants are not on social media, pictures may be submitted to email@example.com – we want to see your BIG fish and BIG smiles!
- Throughout our Virtual Fishing Week Event, there will be special videos posted on our Facebook page about fishing, the refuge, crafting, and even music! A celebrity or two may make a special appearance! A schedule of events will be announced through social and print media.
- On Thursday, October 15 at 7:00 pm, we will host a Facebook Live event and draw names for door prizes like fishing rods, tackle boxes, books, and other goodies. Anyone who registered for the event will be entered into the drawing.
- For those drawn for door prizes, your prize will be available for pick up at the Refuge Office on Monday-Thursday, 7 am until 4:30 pm or Friday 7 am until 12 pm.