Freeman’s Bakery Tea Cookies
- 1 3/4 C unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C shortening
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 C bread flour
- 3/4 C very small pecan pieces
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 6 1/2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 C water
- 2 drops food coloring (your choice)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine butter, sugar, shortening, vanilla and salt in a mixer and blend (do not aerate). Blend in egg, then flour and pecans until dough is formed.
- Roll dough into logs (approx. 1/2” in diameter) and slice in rounds (approx. 1/4” slices). Lay on parchment-lined cookie sheets and make thumbprint impression in each.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To make icing, place powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add corn syrup and water to a small saucepan and heat to 140° (do not boil). Add half of the liquid to the powdered sugar and mix until it becomes a thick paste with no lumps. Mix in remaining liquid and food coloring.
- Fill pastry bag with icing and place a dollop of icing on each cookie. Allow icing to harden before serving.
Notes: You can also roll the dough into balls and after baking roll in powdered sugar. This recipe makes about 8 dozen cookies/balls. You can freeze half the dough and cut the icing recipe in half if needed.