The Florence Center Introduces the Greater Pee Dee State Fair
The lineup of scheduled entertainment for the Greater Pee Dee State Fair Sept. 6-16 at the Florence Center is dizzying, though probably not as delightfully dizzying as the almost 50 rides, including the world’s largest touring roller coaster, the incredibly high mobile swing tower dubbed “Cloud Nine,” the 140-foot-tall pendulum-style gondola with speeds approaching 50 mph, or the ‘KMG Experience’ with rotating tri-arms and massive cable-cars!
There are also rides designed for younger kids or adults seeking more moderate thrills. But don’t fret if you’re not a ride person, as the diversity of entertainment ensures fun seekers of every type won’t be disappointed.
Other main attractions guaranteed to entertain include:
- The Kachunga and the Alligator Show – Kachunga captures an eight-foot, 250 lb. alligator with his bare hands. The audience will get a close up look at the alligator, including a rare look inside the alligator’s mouth.
- Pirates of the Colombian Caribbean – An aerial high wire show with swashbuckling fun for the whole family. You will see pirate sword fights up to 25 feet in the air! This unique family-based show is performed by the famous Murcia Family.
- Eudora Farms Exotic Animals – Experience close encounters with exotic animals from Africa, South America, Australia and Asia. Exciting, educational, and entertaining for the whole family! Plus enjoy camel rides, pony rides, an interactive petting zoo, and more!
- Magic Shows – Magician Bob Bohm presents magic, comedy and fun, jam packed with audience participation, mysterious magic and live animals!
- Farm-ily Feud Game – Agricultural education becomes fun, as teams test their knowledge of farming and farm animals (combined with silly skill games) to declare a top farmer.
- Survivor Family Game Show – It’s “Survivor” meets “Gilligan’s Island” as silly challenges combine with audience participation and popular TV show themes for the audience to declare an ultimate survivor!
- Helicopter rides; antique tractors; and a showcase of regional and state artists crafters, businesses, and more
That’s, of course, in addition to the usual array of carnival games (with prizes to be won!) — and don’t forget the delicious fair foods! It just wouldn’t be a fair without tasty fair foods such as elephant ears, fried chocolates, burgers, nachos, hot dogs, cotton candy, and ice cream throughout the fairgrounds.
Entry into the fair also includes all musical performances and concerts going on at the time, as patrons can expect live music daily from multiple artists ranging from country, rock, pop, folk to blues and more.
The rotating concert lineup includes:
- Tastes Like Chicken
- Jebb Mac
- Barry Brown Band
- Level 10 Live Band and Show
- Eaglewing – An Eagle’s Tribute Band
- Justin Odom
- Ranch House Band
- Spiritfire Band
- Morris Ward
- 3 Days Redemption
The recently expanded Florence Center, an SMG-managed facility located at 3300 W. Radio Dr, is producing the event in conjunction with PrimeTime Amusements LLC.
The fair will open at 4 p.m. weekdays and 1 p.m. weekends. Admission is $7 with children 2 and younger free, but the fair will have several promotions.
Admission is free opening night. The Florence Center also will host several appreciation days, including Scrubs Night, 4-H Day at the Fair, Military and First Responders Night, two student nights, as well as a Faith & Family Day.
Currently, the Pee Dee State Fair & Expo Mega Pass can be purchased at the fair’s website. The pass is $20 and includes both admission and unlimited rides for one day.
The Greater Pee Dee State Fair is a member of the South Carolina Association of Fairs and the International Association of Fairs and Expositions. Each and every ride will be inspected by Wagner Consulting Group Inc and the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR.) before operating or opening to the public to ensure a safe and quality experience.
Visit florencefair.com for more information and details.