Halloween Season Scares Up Some Fun in Florence and the Pee Dee!
The Halloween season is going strong again across the Pee Dee, getting its spooky on with a combination of family-friendly events such as festivals, trick or trunks and more plus genuine scares at “haunted” locales that might ruin your sleep. We’ve rounded up the local scary season-inspired events we’re aware of below and will add more as they pop up. The whole Pee Dee is included. Organized by ongoing events and one-time events.
ONGOING EVENTS ALL (or most of the) HALLOWEEN SEASON
- Cute, creepy, and anything in between. Show off your creativity with a Scarecrow in Downtown Hartsville. Scarecrows will line the streets of downtown and you will get the chance to win great prizes! For registration or questions contact Matthew Winburn at Matthew.Winburn@hartsvillesc.gov or 843.917.0602. Scarecrow stands can be purchased for $20 at The Key located at 106 East Carolina Avenue.
- Every Saturday from 9am-5pm McLeod Farms has its Corn Maze & Pumpkin Patch at 29247 Hwy 151 in McBee. Get lost in their “Shipwrecked” corn maze where you will find pirates, mermaids, and maybe a little treasure! They will also feature a 10-acre u-pick pumpkin patch with more than 15 different varieties of pumpkins. Wagon rides to the patch (at a cost) and pumpkins are priced by the pound upon return.
- There is an Adult Pumpkin Decorating Contest with the City of Florence. Send a picture of your best decorated pumpkin to be entered in this year’s contest! Submit photo entries by: email (email@example.com), text (843)536-6604, or Facebook messenger (@FloTownRec). If you have questions or would like to request a pumpkin please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (843)665-3253 (Monday-Friday 8:30AM to 5:30PM). *Pumpkins will be available October 14th – 24th BY REQUEST ONLY*
- Kreepy Hollow Haunted Attraction is at 1155 Joe Dority Rd. in Bishopville, the attraction is regular admission for $25. More info at https://www.kreepyhollowhauntedattraction.com/.
- Fletcher’s Farm is located on 150 acres of rolling hills and green pastures in Hartsville. Admission to their annual Ghost Town and Haunted Trail includes a bus ride, walking trail, several houses, a maze and more! Includes food options.
- Scream Acres Haunted House and Hayride at 1137 Old Camden Road in Bishopville is open Friday and Saturday nights all October from 1pm-1am (and Oct. 30 7-10pm). Regarded as one of South Carolina’s top rated haunted attractions. screamacreshauntedhouse.com
ONE-TIME (or short-term) EVENTS
SATURDAY, OCT. 8
- Make fall hangers at Lynches River County Park. Call to register 843-389-0550. Cost is $15 per hanger, with supplies provided.
- From 8am-11am the YMCA of the Upper Pee Dee returns with its Halloween-themed running event the SPC Witch’s Run 5K presented by Cares2Share. Best times and costumes will be awarded! You may register in person at SPC Credit Union or online at witchsrun5k.com.
- At 10am is the Halloween Town Shopping Fair from The Southern Sunrise Boutique at 3617 E. Palmetto St. This event is to support local small businesses. There will be boutiques, art and crafts vendors, and various unique vendors carrying many different items!
- The City of Hartsville is excited to announce that the 2022 Screen on the Green movie series is BACK! The movie Halloween Town is sponsored by SPC Credit Union. Grab a blanket or a chair and meet us at Burry Park for their free summer movie series! Children and leashed pets are welcome. The movie starts at dusk.
- The 39th Annual South Carolina Sweet Potato Festival in Downtown Darlington is presented by the Pilot Club of Darlington, SC Inc. From 9am-4pm attend this fun and fabulous event for the whole family! Many varieties of food and crafts as well as amusements and entertainment will make the day a great event for everyone.
- From 1-4pm is Painted Pumpkins & Pints at Local Motive Brewing in Florence! Bring the kids or find your inner kid and come decorate a pumpkin. $20 gets you a pumpkin, the supplies to decorate, and a beer for the adults or ice cream for the kids.
THURSDAY, OCT. 13
- From 5-8pm is Drink Up, Witches at 136 E. Carolina Ave, Hartsville from The Rooster, which they call a ghoulish girl’s night out!
FRIDAY, OCT. 14
- At 7pm the Montessori School of Florence has its Halloween Bash and Costume Contest at the Florence Country Club for “Grown-Up Ghosts and Ghouls.”
- From 10am-11am, the Little Gym of Florence has Little Spooky Sensory Play! Touch, smell, taste, movement, balance, sight and hearing for some serious fun Halloween-themed sensory bins, games and activities! This event is suitable for children 4 months-2.5 years old.
FRIDAY, OCT. 14-SUNDAY, OCT. 16
- At the Pee Dee State Farmers Market shop seasonal plants, flowers, decor and more at the FREE event. The market is stocked with local fall produce, and will also have the largest selection of pumpkins in the Peebis Dee area! Food vendors will be on hand throughout the festival. In addition, South Carolina Master Gardeners will be available to answer questions regarding fall planting. For more information, contact Diane Guilfoil at 843-665-5154 or email@example.com.
SATURDAY, OCT. 15
- From 11am-3pm is Halloween Farm Fest at Chasin’ Time Farm from Megan McDowell Photography. Food vendors, hay rides, pony rides, pumpkin painting, face painting and a costume contest. Check out Megan McDowell Photography for details that include cost.
- The City of Florence Recreation, Athletics & Sports Tourism presents Lights on Afterschool, a national advocacy day where afterschool programs across the nation host events to celebrate their programs and increase awareness about the importance of afterschool. At the Barnes Street Activity Center. Free entry. Trick or Treat and don your best costume!
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 19
- From 6-8pm Sip Co. Wine & Beer has Sullivan’s Sp00ky Charcuterie Workshop for $60. During this workshop you will create a SPOOKY 8×8 HALLOWEEN-themed box meant for two as an after dinner snack or carry to lunch the next day. All supplies will be provided. Halloween costumes are HIGHLY encouraged! Will teach you skills and techniques to build a unique and delicious charcuterie and cheese board.
THURSDAY, OCT. 20-SATURDAY, OCT. 29
FRIDAY, OCT. 21
- Trunk or Treat by Florence County Public Safety at Florence County Complex parking lot at 180 N. Irby Street from 6-8:30pm (or when there are no more goodies).
- Darlington Library is having a movie night at 6pm! They will be watching the movie Hocus Pocus, and popcorn will be provided.
SATURDAY, OCT. 22
- The Florence Area Humane Society presents Howl-O-Ween at Petsmart from 12-4pm at 2887 David McLeod Blvd. in Florence with a costume contest for dogs, cats, kids and adults with a costume parade at 1:30pm. Also reduced fees for adoptions.
- The Lake City Haunted Fun Run at 5pm is a family-friendly 5K on the streets of Lake City “haunted” by ghoulish characters guaranteed to help you run a little faster! They encourage racers to dress up in their favorite Halloween costume to run the race. YOU MUST BE A RACER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COSTUME CONTEST. The winner of each category will receive a $50 cash prize. The categories are: Most Creative, Funniest, Scariest, and Most Unusual. A hot dog/hamburger supper will be provided for the racers. More info at: https://bit.ly/3rTpjqN.
- It’s Fall Family Movie Night at the Florence Museum with Hocus Pocus at the Lawton-Chase House (the old Florence Museum). FREE Admission and popcorn! Marshmallow roasting skewers, candy, and drinks $1 each person (cash only). Marshmallow roasting and music will be 6-7pm and Hocus Pocus will begin at 7:15pm. Bring friends, family, blankets, and chairs to watch a movie under the stars!
- Swing the night away starting at 7:30pm with the local Swing Dance Club. Wear your dance-able Halloween costumes, and expect some treats! A few Lindy Hop lessons and lots of dancing. All skill levels welcome. They are suggesting a $5 donation per participant to cover use of the building, which is the Beth Israel Congregation Social Hall (not affiliated).
- From 9am-4pm is the Family Harvest Festival at the Pee Dee State Farmers Market with pumpkin painting, free children’s games (with prizes!), rides in the Little Red Fire Truck, a dunking booth and more!
- From 11am-2pm is Pumpkins & Ponies at 4473 Hewitt Cemetery Rd by Hands Helping Horses-Florence Area Humane Society. Stephen Lane Photography will be on hand to take fall photos of you, your children, or family along with the rescue ponies. Activities will include tours of the farm, pumpkin decorating, and much more! Light refreshments will be available. Cost is a $20 donation to FAHS.
- Darlington Library is having a Halloween Dance Party at 3pm! There will be dancing, crafts, a costume contest, and light snacks served! Come on and join in the fun! All ages are welcome.
SUNDAY, OCT. 23
- From 4-6pm Highland Park United Methodist Church at 1300 2nd Loop Rd. in Florence will have games, prizes, candy, popcorn, an inflatable slide, face painting, door prizes, and more! They participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project. All with allergies can look for the table with the big teal pumpkin sign to exchange candy for non-food prizes. Hot dogs, chips, and drinks will be available for purchase.
TUESDAY, OCT. 25
- From 5-7pm is Hannah Community Halloween from Hannah Hardware & Supply in Pamplico. Will include a pumpkin contest—bring your decorated pumpkin as each age group will win a prize! Also a costume contest where each age group will win a prize. Face painting, treats & so much more.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 26
Art After Dark: Pick Your Own Halloween Painting at Tammy’s for $25-$35 at 6:30pm at 112 E Main St, Lake City. Choose any Halloween or fall painting you want! Email them at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a custom design you want to paint instead of the options they offer.
- From 7-9pm, Dominion Church features its 3rd Annual Trunk or Treat. Come out and enjoy a night of fun with candy, inflatables, and hot dogs!
- Trunk or Treat at Calvary Baptist Church from 6-7pm at 915 Cherokee Road.
- Fall Festival at College Park Baptist Church from 6-8pm. Hot dog supper, cake walk, games, trunk or treat, face paint and inflatables.
THURSDAY, OCT. 27
- The Morphis Pediatric Group at 708 Medical Park Drive from 6pm-7:30pm has a haunted drive-thru.
- Hartsville invites you to its Downtown Community for an evening of terrifyingly good fun with Treats on the Streets from 5-7pm.
- Join the Lee County Arts Council for its Halloween party featuring DJ Tiz Laney at the Bishopville Opera House from 7-10pm for $15. Door prizes, costume contest and more.
- Scare on the Square from 4:30-6:30pm at the Public Square in Darlington. During the free event employees of area businesses will be handing out treats to costumed children, and some will be dressed in costumes themselves. Those participating will have a pumpkin on the door.
THURSDAY, OCT. 27-NOV. 6
- The Eastern Carolina Agricultural Fair at 5226 East Palmetto Street runs through Nov. 6, showcasing agriculture products, animal health products, amusement rides, entertainment and yummy fair food! Gates open at 5pm Monday-Friday, 11am Saturday, and 1pm Sunday. More info at ecafair.com.
FRIDAY, OCT. 28
- At 7pm there is an adult costume party in Timmonsville at the Cartersville Country Winery at 571 Lamar Hwy. Great food, adult drinks, live DJ and prizes for best costume and other categories. Admission is $20, you can pay at the door.
- Halloween Havok is from 7-11:30pm at Creekside of Florence featuring the bands Age of the Fall, Cleansweep, and Wolfmans got Nards! Definitely a good time with food and drink specials and cash prizes for best overall and best couple costumes.
- Anderson Brothers Bank presents the 2nd annual Jack O’ Lantern Jubilee! Join the City of Dillon from 5-9pm in South Plaza and S. Railroad Ave. in downtown Dillon for FREE activities such as CARNIVAL rides and games, pumpkin decorating, funny fun Jubilee Photobooth, Nerf Shooting Gallery, face painting, balloon artist, and CANDY and prizes! Also the band Chocolate Chip & Company.
- Elm Pediatrics in Lake City at 800 W. Main Street from 6-8pm has a trick or treat where or the kids can wear a costume for some Halloween fun!
- At 5pm is the 4th Annual Halloween Truck or Treat Fire Prevention Event at 431 E Smith St. in Timmonsville from the Sardis-Timmonsville Fire Department! Candy, games, food, education and smoke alarm applications as the fire department has an open house mixing fun with fire prevention education.
- Films at the Farm returns with Beetlejuice at Moore Farms Botanical Garden! Join them outside from 7-8:30pm for Beetlejuice on the BIG screen for FREE.
- The Little Gym of Florence features its Baby Boo Bash for some serious fun! This event is suitable for children 4 months -2.5 years old. Dress your kids in their favorite costumes.
- The Amazing Grace Park in Marion has Trick or Treat Trail & Movie Night at 730pm! Bring all your little monsters and ghouls to trick or trail around the walking trail before the movie.
SATURDAY, OCT. 29
At 5pm Seminar Brewing will have its Howlerween Party with a costume contest, an appearance from Hemp House Mobile-Dispensary and live music from Three Peace Band, and Halloween food specials and a special beer release!
- The Well PPHC Holiness Church in Pamplico at 613 N. Pamplico Hwy. has a trunk or treat from 5:30-7:30pm.
- The Dizzy Crab in Florence has a costume contest and party at 10pm!
- Kingstree will have its Blocktober Fest Candy Quest from 4-7pm on Main and Academy Streets.
- The Olanta Gator Festival on W. Main St with feature live music, dancing, a cooking contest, a trunk or treat, a haunted firehouse, food trucks, vendors and more from 10am-10pm! The Olanta Fire Department at 3505 Olanta Highway has the haunted fire station event for a day of fun activities and all the candy the kids can stand. This includes a trunk-or-treat on Main St. later in the evening with the haunted house starting at 5pm and ending at 10pm with the other festivities. Can’t make it Saturday? Well, while the other events won’t be included on Monday October 31, but the fire department will do the haunted house that night as well! Entry is FREE but donations are welcome.
- A Halloween Golf Cart Parade to benefit the Dillon Animal Shelter is at 11am. Wear a costume, decorate your cart and meet at Harmon Park with supplies for the shelter (food, litter, bowls, towels, cleaning products, etc.). More info at 843-845-7949. Prizes for best cart and pet costume!
- The Halloween Ride & Party at River Neck Acres ATV Park and Campground includes a campground area decorating contest at 2pm. They will be judging the best-decorated cabin & the best-decorated camper site! There will be 1st place and a runner-up prize given. Trick or treat: 3pm. It will be closed 3-4pm to ALL traffic to ensure safety of kiddos. Costume contest: 4pm in the metal building. There will be an adult group & kids (13 and under). There will be 1st place and a runner-up prize given in both groups. ATV decorating contest: 4:30pm immediately following the costume contest in the metal building. There will be 1st place and a runner-up prize given. Night ride: 10pm leaving from the office!
- From 2-5pm at Moore Farms Botanical Garden in Lake City the BOOtanical Garden will come alive! Get the whole family together and put on your best costumes for an enchanted Halloween. Trick-or-treating through the garden, with fall-themed games, crafts, and even carnivorous plants! Experience the bewitchingly beautiful garden like never before, while the little ones enjoy a BOOtastic time.
- Trunk or Treat at Family Worship Assembly from 4-7pm in Coward.
- Athletic Cheer Force Spooktacular Open Gym Fall Festival from 6-9pm. $20 per person. A night filled with fun and excitement including a trunk or treat, a costume contest, hot dogs & drinks, festival games and more! At 450 2nd Loop Rd.
- The City Center Farmers Market has a trick-or-treating event that is free and kid-friendly from 9am-1pm!
- Green Frog Social House from 7-pm-10pm has Scott Cantey for a scary good time. There will be fun music, great food, drink specials, and a costume contest. First place wins a $50 gift card to GFSH, and runner-up will win a $25 gift card to GFSH!
- Bennettsville from 3:30-5:30pm has its annual Trunk or Treat with a walk-thru to enjoy all of the activities and wonderful trunks filled with candy. Join us to enjoy the food from Douglas Eatery, music, jumbo Jenga, jumbo connect four, corn hole, jumbo darts, free popcorn, treat bags, and more!
- The Town of Hemingway hosts its Trunk-A-Treat from 4-5pm on East Broad St. Will feature a car show from 9am-3pm.
- At 6pm Compassion Church Florence hosts HALLE-BOO-JAH for its third year in a row. There will be trunk or treat, free food, inflatables, crafts, and so much more!
SUNDAY, OCT. 30
- From 5-7pm is the Candy Palooza Drive Thru at the Palmetto Street Church of God (while supplies last) at 3132 W. Palmetto St. Your family will also have an opportunity to register to win some cool prizes. Please remain in your car at all times. When you arrive, please enter the parking lot at the entrance with the balloons. From there, please follow the traffic pattern and exit by turning right only.
- From 4-6pm, Hoffmeyer Road Baptist Church in Florence has a Trunk or Treat at both of its campuses, 2317 Hoffmeyer Rd. and 3760 Southborough Rd. There will be lots of candy to give out.
- The Locked Inn’s Halloween Party is from 3-6pm. Bring the kids, wear your costumes, and come prepared to have a great time. Trunk or Treat, games, hotdogs, kettle corn, drinks and more.
- From 3-5pm is the Ebenezer Baptist Church Festival in Florence with trunk or treat and games, inflatables, hot dog meals, fun and candy.
- Cornerstone Fall Fest is from 5-7pm in Darlington. The free event will have multiple indoor candy and activity stations, a prize walk, inflatables, games, and a hay ride. Address is 2930 Masters Way, Darlington.
- The Envy Experience LLC Halloween Pop Up Shop in Florence is at 5pm. The free event has inflatables, concessions, games, prizes and more at 3015c E Palmetto St.
- Scream Acres in Bishopville will have a no scare trick or treat from 3-6pm. It is $8 per person; bring your own bucket for candy! A haunted house with the lights on and a hayride. Regular scares starts at 7pm.
- The Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat at Lake Swamp Baptist Church in Timmonsville features fun, food, games, a big slide, a hayride and more from 5:30-7:30pm!
- Luke Lutheran Church in Florence presents their Annual Trunk or Treat event at 5:30pm. The community is invited to stop by for Halloween candy!
- From 5-7pm, the Gospel Temple in Florence has its Fall Festival. They will have lots of activities for the kids, and they encourage you to invite your friends, family, and neighbors!
- St. John’s Church in Florence starting at 4pm will have a trick or trunk where they will also give out hotdogs, chips and bottled water to all who join them!
- The Florence County Public Library has a Fall Carnival from 3:30-4:30pm. A variety of fun carnival games will be available with other fall activities inside the library in the Joseph Stukes Meeting Room. Light refreshments and small prizes will be available while supplies last.
- The Lake City Festival of Frights is at 6pm, a drive-thru on Main Street before a 8pm curfew.
- From 6-8pm The Bible Temple at 195 Gause Canal Rd Coward has its Trunk or Treat, which they call a safe event for Trick or Treating on Halloween.
- The Town of Cheraw Recreation & Leisure Services Department has its annual “Halloween Walk” from 4pm-6pm. The event includes trick-or-treat with some businesses, agencies, and organizations. Children and their families can stroll around downtown and Centennial Park to receive treats from community businesses.
- At 5pm they will open the doors of the spooky hallways of the Florence Center as the Haunted Hotel Invades! The free event will provide a fun and safe environment for children to trick or treat and enjoy Halloween! The Miracle League Athletes and Special Needs Children in the Pee Dee go from 4-5pm. From 5-8pm the doors will be open to the general public for ages 12 and under (must be accompanied by an adult). Bring your candy buckets, bags or pillow cases.
- From 6-9pm is the Trunk or Treat and Fall Festival at Kelleytown Baptist Church in Hartsville. They will have something for EVERYONE! Hayrides, inflatables, Kona Ice, food, and FUN! For more information visit kelleytown.org.
- From 6-7:30pm is the Harvest Fall Festival at Mechanicsville Baptist Church in Darlington. This free event includes inflatables, games, face painting, a snow cone truck, candy and more.