Town Hall Oxtail Ravioli with Sweet Potato Puree & Espelette Spiced Pecans
- 425 g all purpose flour (just under 15 oz.)
- 300 g Semolina Flour (10.5 oz.)
- 9 egg yolks
- 8 oz. water
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Add flour and semolina to stand mixer with dough hook.
- On low speed, add yolks one at a time.
- Slowly add water and extra virgin olive oil.
- Once mixed, wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour.
Sweet Potato Puree
- ½ lb. unsalted butter
- 5 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (seasoned with salt and white pepper)
- 4 C vegetable stock
- 1 C heavy cream
- salt, white pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Sweat diced sweet potatoes in melted butter over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add vegetable stock to cover, simmer until completely cooked.
- Add potatoes to blender or food processor, add cream slowly while pureeing to keep moving. Puree until smooth.
- Season with salt, white pepper and lemon juice to taste
Oxtail Farce (filling for the ravioli)
- 4 large yellow onions
- 4 large carrots
- 1 head of celery
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 5 bay leaves
- 4 qt. veal stock or low sodium beef stock
- 5 lb. oxtail (or other braising meat)
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp. mascarpone cheese
- 1 bunch of parsley (chopped)
- red wine for deglazing
- oil for cooking the onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel and rough chop 3 onions, 3 carrots, and all but 3 stalks of celery, cut head of garlic in half horizontally.
- Heat pan with oil on medium high heat (Dutch oven).
- Season all sides of oxtail with salt and black pepper.
- Sear on all sides until golden brown, pull out, set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, and roast until they begin to brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- Deglaze with red wine and reduce.
- Add oxtail back to pan, along with bay leaves and whole thyme, and cover with veal stock.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, put in 350° oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until meat falls off the bone.
- Once tender, pull oxtail out and pick meat from bones, chop meat up and set aside.
- Strain liquid from Dutch oven into another pot and reduce over medium heat until half liquid is gone.
- Brunoise half of remaining onion, last carrot and 3 stalks of celery.
- Heat Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sweat brunoised mirepoix until onions are translucent (approx. 5 min).
- Add chopped oxtail meat.
- Cover with reduced au jus (juice), simmer (save a little jus to put over finished ravioli).
- Add mascarpone, season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and sherry vinegar to taste.
- Once thick, add chopped parsley and cool.
Espelette Spiced Pecans
- 2 lbs. chopped raw pecans
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 5 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. chopped thyme
- 2 tsp. chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tsp. Espelette
- zest of 1 lemon
- Mix all the spices together in a bowl.
- Toss pecans with spice mix with extra virgin olive oil so it coats.
- Roast in 350° oven on a sheet tray (approx. 10 min).
- Roll out ravioli dough to thinnest setting. Outline your ravioli.
- Place a ball of cold filling on spaces.
- Cover with another sheet of pasta, cut into squares, and seal edges of each square with egg wash.
- Boil pasta in seasoned water until al dente (approx. 4 min).
- Serve by putting ravioli on top of warm sweet potato puree.
- Top with warm jus and pecans, then garnish with fresh parsley.
Notes: Short rib, lamb or pork shoulder can be used instead of oxtail. Espelette is a type of pepper found in France; you can substitute unsmoked hot paprika. A brunoise is a type of cut on vegetables, a French alternative to dicing. Mirepoix is a term for the carrots celery and onions. This recipe makes a very large amount.